I have been trawling the internet a bit to try and find out more about
spangled bobbins and their history and besides uncovering tiny bits of new
information, I haven't really come across anything to indicate why there is
a difference between continental bobbins and midlands bobbins.

I know that both types of bobbin have means of adding weight to the bobbin,
either by a heavier bottom or by spangling and that the spangle stops the
bobbin rolling around on the pillow.   What I don't get is the following:
presuming that some continental laces came about because of English
lacemaking where spangled bobbins were used, why did they (continental
lacemakers) decide to stop using spangles and go with the heavy bottom
variety of bobbin instead?

And who had the thought initially that using a threaded circle of beads at
the bottom of a bobbin would be a good idea in lacemaking anyway?

I have to add that this journey of seeking information is a rather enjoyable
one, i had a look for the Springett's booklet on spangles and superstitions
too, but apparently it is out of print.   Any feedback on the book and its
contents?

Micki