I find second hand stores, rummage sales etc. are a good source of old
linen.  Often these are in good condition, sometimes just needing a
cleaning.  Sometimes weak spots or stains can be covered by embroidery or
appliqué or lace.

And here’s a lace quote I came across recently:

“...not to have remembered that though Nottingham to two-thirds of Britain
may mean lace, to the other third it means racing.”

>From The man in the queue by Josephine Tey

JulieO in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada, where it’s almost winter.