Thank you all very much. I have had a few helpful emails about this now, some are now clearer after reading this one Jeri. My lace is ruby coloured on prewashed ruby fabric, pressed not needing to be starched. (I had some excellent help with this earlier in the year when finishing the napkins). As I am expecting to use these napkins from time to time following this proceedure should work very well, store, use, clean and return until the next time. What a great idea. I have saved this email to remind myself of all the essential information.

What a wonderful mine of information and help you all are. Thank you very much.
Sue T, in sunny but chilly Dorset UK.

Dear Lace Friends,
On the subject of rolling napkins for storage, I really liked Alice's advice. But then, more comments and questions arose. I have been to quite a few museum-sponsored conservation lectures and never heard PVC pipe mentioned in the lectures as a good choice for delicate textiles, so cannot make a recommendation on that. It may be perfectly OK, but I hesitate to absolutely endorse. Following is the most streamlined and lightweight solution I can suggest for those who are storage-space challenged.... Take a clean cardboard tube that has little glue (a bug attractant) and roll heavy duty quality aluminum foil (the kind used in your kitchen - brand names will differ in different countries) around the tube to more than completely cover and seal the tube, including closing off the open ends by pinching or twisting the ends to avoid wood pulp off-gasing from inside the tube out the two ends -- this is why you should not roll up textiles and put them "inside" tubes, which I believe one correspondent mentioned. Being sealed by the aluminum should deter bugs. As I write this, I realize that using foil around PVC would also work to prevent any problems I cannot imagine at this time. If you are going to travel and exhibit something rolled like this, then do as Clay suggests and roll your display cloth right along with your lace. If your lace needs a little padding in the roll, then use an appropriate white or ecru cloth. The original letter was about red napkins with lace. I presume the napkins were pre-washed before the lace was sewn on, and there was absolutely no dye running. In a damp climate this is important. A bit of white cloth or acid-free tissue rolled along with the napkins will show stains if they develop, and you can react to what is happening. Another suggestion: Do not iron fold creases. Over time, and in some climates, fabrics weaken along ironed creases. Therefore, seek a tube that is long enough to not need to fold napkins before rolling. And another: Do not starch before storing. Starch and iron them when you are ready to use. Stored items containing starch can discolor. In giving this advice, I am aware there are many different starch formulas used in our world, and some react over time differently than others. I try to write to Arachne suggestions that will not cause harm no matter where you are. Store your tubes of lace in a clean/dry place, and unroll them a couple times a year to check their condition. Put the "unroll and check dates" on your calendar, so you won't forget. Jeri Ames Lace and Embroidery Resource Center In a message dated 10/17/2008 12:20:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

---- Joy Beeson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: For something precious, it would be well to use an acid-free tube, or wrap the tube with buffered paper before wrapping it in muslin. The buffered-paper option is probably both cheaper and more reliable than looking for acid-free tubing.-----

Most home improvement stores sell PVC pipe. I'm pretty sure polyvinyl chloride is inert and neutral pH. Jeri can correct me if I'm wrong. The stuff is reasonably inexpensive and, with acid-free tissue or very clean muslin around it, should be very good for wrapping textiles around. Any comments, Jeri?

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California,  USA

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing  the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write  to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out (http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)