For a hexagon it works out that every angle is 60 degrees (which doesn't make for the best looking Bucks point) and the working angle is the same as the turning angle.

Same with a square. Divide it into four triangles, the four angles at the centre are each 360/4 = 90 degrees, so the other two will be 45 degrees and 45 degrees - the working angle of torchon.

Brenda

On 23 Oct 2008, at 14:01, Sue Babbs wrote:

Not spending time to check my thoughts, but wouldn't you need 72 degrees to get a pentagon? 5x58 = 290 so you are 70 degrees short of a circle, which is what you'll need isn't it? Or are my early morning thoughts missing something?
Sue
----- Original Message -----
From: Brenda Paternoster
To: Sue
Cc: Sue Babbs ; Arachne
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: [lace] bucks point grid size

Sue

If your Bucks grid has a working angle of 58 degrees you can make five
corners for a pentagon shape or if it has a working angle of 60 degrees
six corners will make a hexagon.  Otherwise you have to cut and paste
and do all sorts of odd things or design a proper Bucks corner which
takes the cloth stitch/gimps etc right across all the ground from the
headside to the footside.

That's the reason why traditional Bucks point does not usually have
corners, instead a straight edging is gathered around a corner.

Brenda

On 23 Oct 2008, at 10:32, Sue wrote:

> Thanks Sue,
> I had recognised that fact from the obvious different look along the
> short sides of the rectangle to the long, but I thought it was just me
> and was hoping that it could work right by using another grid (apart
> from 45 deg).  I was hoping to make this as a bucks point pattern
> without having to cut paper and use sticky tape.  Because I had the
> short length right (with the funny shaped grid, I now need to rework
> that out to fit the space I have).  I wish I was better at maths,
> <grin>.  I will get there eventually,  I like it too much to give up
> now.
> I did change the pattern to a couple of other different numbers of
> grid with no better success. Sue T, Dorset UK
>
> Sue Babbs wrote:
>> You can't print a rectangular Bucks pattern on one grid - as you have
>> discovered when you turn the corner the grid angle will change. If
>> you were
>> working at 52 degrees then having turned the corner it will be 90-52
>> degrees
>> ie 38 degrees.  The corner will need to be carefully designed to
>> transition
>> from one to the other.
>>
>> You will need to print one of the correct strips with a corner - and
>> physically cut and paste as needed.
>>
>> Sue
>>

> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
> unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html