The discussion of Het Lassen was very timely!  I have been re-learning lace
after stopping for a dozen years or so, and have been toiling away on a piece
of wide torchon.  It is going fairly smoothly now, but turning that first
corner wasn't pretty! (I had never actually done a corner before having only
made straight lengths). I was toying with the idea of just continuing around
and remaking that wonky first side with its' embarrassing corner and then
cutting off the offending bits, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. How nice
to know that it is a perfectly acceptable way to clean up bad start. I feel
rather like a child who played hooky from school, only to discover that it was
a holiday anyway! I love that my plan, which felt vaguely like cheating,
turned out to be a legitimate fix with its own lacemaking term and everything!
;)
Thanks to all for the info.

Elise