Stevenson's extensive travels with his donkey took him around the Auvergne
and also into the Ardeche regions in France.
For many years we have been travelling right through Le Monastier when we're
on holiday............it is fairly close to Le Puy en Velay and Retournac
too.
The museum in Retournac, which is housed in an old lace factory and has been
mentioned on Arachne before, has an ancient motor bike exhibited. This bike
was once ridden for the collection of lace made in the local villages, where
once the collections were made on foot.
One such small mountain village is called Le Beage, where once there was a
lace 'outlet'........according to the weathered writing on the front of the
house. The house is now a Gites de France holiday home.............I have
the photo, somewhere.
Sandi, in an ever greyer Rochester, Kent.