I have the same problem as Sister Claire. I am only 4ft 10 and a half. I manage well at home as I have an adjustable stand for my pillow but when I go to my evening class is another thing altogether.

It is in a school and we use the desk and chairs. Even with a table stand I am having trouble seeing the pattern at the top of the pillow. I have tried sitting on two chairs (one on top of the other) but that is no use. I have now bought a booster cushion (it is used for the elderly or disabled to make it easier to stand up I think) I will be using it tonight for the first time and fingers crossed that this will work (my feet will not touch the floor though and I am hoping this will not aggravate my back). It will be ok when I get further down the pattern as I will see that.

Nancy

From: "Sister Claire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:48 AM
To: "Brenda Paternoster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "phil powis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "lace chat room at arachne" <lace@arachne.com>
Subject: Re: [lace] Ligurian Lacemakers - oil painting

Well, the chairs could be a function of size and financial situation.

I am in my fifties and I am 1.47 meters tall. (About 4' 9") Most chairs are too tall for me and tables are too high. I own three chairs. Two are low and fit at the dining table. When I put my cookie pillow on the table and sit in those chairs, the work is raised to a point where I have to lift my arms and
have my elbows elevated. Very uncomfortable. If I use my computer chair, I
have to bend forward because it won't fit under the table. Also
uncomfortable.

When I work at my tombolo (the same kind of pillow as in the painting) I
place it in its stand and sit at my computer chair. I have to rest my feet
on the thingies the wheels are attached to.

I cannot afford to buy a dedicated chair for lacemaking, so I make do. I'm
saving up for an adjustable stand for my cookie pillow though. =)

Yes, it's hard on the back. I imagine that was the least of the things that
were hard on those girls' backs.

Sr. Claire

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Brenda Paternoster <