Hi Sue

The best I can offer is from
http://www.mincepieclub.co.uk/Mince_Pie_News/Mince_Pie_History/ The_History_Of_The_Mince_Pie.html

"To make Pyes - Pyes of mutton or beif must be fyne mynced and ceasoned wyth pepper and salte, and a lyttle saffron to coloure it, suet or marrow a good quantite, a lyttle vyneger, prumes, greate raysins and dates, take thefattest of the broathe of powdred beyfe, and yf you wyll have paest royall, take butter and yolkes of egges and so tempre the flowre to make the paeste."

Brenda