I made my NL pillow from a coffee tin, wrapped in layers of wool dressinggown
fabric, and covered in dark blue cotton.
I have a length of dowel to push under the pattern to lift it where I am
working.

Finished size is about 6½ inches long, and 6inches in diameter.  It can sit on
my lap, or, more often, sits in a shallow basket which has had the handle cut
off (the sort of flat "flower" basket)

I don't use it a lot, as I prefer to lean back in a chair, with my lace in my
hand,  rather than stooping over the pillow.

The padding only needs to be thick enough to be able to pin the pattern to it.
If you angle the pins you only need about ½ inch of padding.

Regards from Liz in Melbourne
lizl...@bigpond.com