Reply to:

"Do you have an opinion on the soap called Orvus?  It is used  for
washing wool and for that it can't be beat.  I'm not sure  whether this
can be found outside the US, but it is carried here by  feed stores
because it is used to wash sheep and other animals.   It is supposed to
be the purest soap that exists and contains no  phosphates or other
nasty things.

"I would value an opinion on  this where it concerns cleaning lace.
Thanks, Jeri.

"Tess  (tess1...@aol.com)"
Dear Tess and Others Interested,

Orvus is fully addressed, as it pertains to wet cleaning cotton and linen
laces, in a long paragraph on _www.honitonlace.com_
(http://www.honitonlace.com/)  .  Honiton  lace is not a wool lace.  Orvus is
the only product I use  and
recommend for cotton or linen, as I believe that museum-qualified
conservators should tackle permanent stains on anything that does not respond
to  careful
washing.  Our Arachne correspondence reaches all  continents, excepting
Antarctica, probably.  My concern is that in many  locations there are no
professionally-trained dry cleaners who work by hand  (instead of using
machines).  The
warnings on the web site  are very clear.  It is not pleasant to respond -
too late  - to a do-it-yourself person who has ruined very nice  lace of
sentimental or monetary value!

The Orvus paragraph does mention the use of Orvus on wools - the fact  that
professional rug cleaners use it.  And, that it is used to wash show  animals.
I would never advise over-doing it -- washing animals or  rugs too frequently
could present new problems.

That said, it is logical Orvus can be used for your wool laces, using  all
the precautions you ordinarily use when washing wool.  There is no  wool
relationship to Honiton lace.   It is as a special courtesy  that  washing
instructions have been placed on _www.Honitonlace.com_
(http://www.honitonlace.com/)  ;
not something to  take for granted.

Cotton and linen laces are to be immersed in the Orvus/Distilled  water, and
thoroughly rinsed (using *my* instructions, not your usual  methods) until the
water in the basin is clear.  Lace can be badly  damaged when wet.  You must
read and **comprehend** -- no speed  reading -- how to avoid tearing and other
problems.  No  bleach.

If I included the whole set of instructions on Arachne each  time this
subject comes up, it would run on for pages and pages each  time.   This would
be
costly in some countries Arachne  reaches.

Jeri  Ames
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
**************Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital.(http://www.aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000027)