From: owner-l...@arachne.com [mailto:owner-l...@arachne.com] On Behalf Of
Rochelle Sutherland
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:33 AM
To: arachne
Subject: Re: [lace] Victorian Farm now Scottish jackets

There are a number of different styles of Scottish jacket. The most common
is
a Prince Charlie, which is very like a normal dinner jacket, but shorter.
It's
worn with a vest and bow tie and is always black.B The other types are
single
and double breasted variations with or withoutB flaps at the hem including
the
Montrose, Kenmore andB Sherrifmuir. They areB worn with jabot and cuffs in
lace, and they are made of either black suiting fabric or coloured velvet to
match a main colour of the kilt. They are all fitted so it is hard work
making
them. I have to make two thisB year for my sons who are highland dancing.
Not
looking forward to it.

A tip for buttons. Instead of sewing, use anB awl to
punch a hole andB push the largeB shank at the back of the button through
the
fabric and thread a piece of cord through it long enough to join all
buttons.B Then just sew either end of the cord at the top and bottom of the
front of the jacket. It makes the buttons sit better and you don't lose any,
but you have to be carefulB with the awl not to damage the fabric.

One little
boy came to a comp last year minus his whiteB shirt. So we found a safety
pin,
borrowed a strip of lace and folded the lapels of his Prince Charlie up,
thenB covered the front with the lace and he was able to dance. And he
beatB me.
---
Rochelle Sutherland
&