So my guess was right (and if I'd been paying attention, I would have
seen the French and translated it but I've had a cold for a couple
days). It's a tool for drawing wire. Wire is made by hammering a piece
of metal into thinner and thinner (and longer) pieces. The final wire
is formed by drawing it through a gauge with pre-formed holes (we're
talking about wire-making by hand). I wasn't sure about it because
most of the wire-drawing tools I've seen had handles that enabled you
to clamp them to a work bench because you want the gauge to be fairly
stable so that you can draw the wire through with a pair of pliers. If
the metal were very soft, I guess you could use a hand-held
wire-drawer like this.

Here's an article explaining the process:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_drawing

Most wire-making is done by machine these days but there are jewelers
who do wire-drawing by hand. Arlene Fisch describes the process and
tools in her book, "Textile Techniques in Metal." (Great book. Pity it
appears to be out of print at the moment.)

Avital