Yes, I realize it was a humorous comment, like the one reported by  Regina,
and not the result of deep study.:-) But it is actually more humorous  for
being unintentionally true.

Some of the discussions about compelling the residents of poor houses to
make lace is aimed at keeping them, to some extent off the public dole and
encouraging a work ethic. There are various suggestions that those who would
not
comply with showing up for lacemaking should be considered among the slothful,
undeserving poor, and denied public assistance. So there were probably quite
a  few people making lace against their will, lest they be allowed to starve
by  those institutions meant to save people from starving.

I have not yet had the chance to find out if there is much lacemaking going
on in hell. For us, of course, it would seem that going to heaven would
certainly involve lacemaking without interruption, sort of like an eternal
lace
retreat. :-)

I will add a question I was once asked at a demo. I had an entire pillow of
exquisite bone bobbins, incised, mother and babe, etc., products of Archer and
 Springett. Truly a masterpiece of a pillow meant to attract the eye of bling
 seekers. A visitor asked me what had been used for bobbins before we had
plastic.

Devon

In a message dated 3/3/2009 11:45:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,