I have read several references to pulling a thread and am not quite sure if you mean to remove that thread to allow you to fold there, sew there or what. ? Reading the sentance below makes me think maybe it is the cutting mark to get the right finished size of hanky and can trim along that line once the sewing is complete, Am I on the right track or far off, ? With only one piece sewn in class and not enough experience and practise I would like to learn the best way to make as good a job as I can.

(. This makes a vast difference when you stitch the lace on, as a) it is much easier to pull a thread to get the the proper square to work on and b) your stitches will pull the fabric for more easily opening up holes as you sew the lace on. )

Sue T Dorset, UK
Bobbin Lace and Glass engravings
http://www.hurwitzend.co.uk