---- dmt11h...@aol.com wrote:
Another  English language style issue which needs resolution in an official
lace style manual is whether the plural of lace is lace or laces. ----

"Lace" can be like "fish" (the words, not the objects!).  Several of the same
species are "fish".  Several different species are "fishes".  When talking
about the laces of several regions, it's pluralized.  When talking about the
category of textiles, we say "lace is made in many lands".  Note that the verb
is singlular ("is", not "are"), so "lace" is singlular.  I would say "I have
five pieces of lace", but again this is using "lace" as a category, not a bunch
of objects.

It's late, I'm tired, and I suspect this doesn't make much sense, but I've
tried....

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com