May I make one small point regarding the 'Channer' mat. As far as is known Miss Channer designed but did not work it, the example shown in old photographs was worked by "Mrs Dixon of Clapham, Bedford, at one of the classes of the Bedford Technical Institute c1926".

The mat is in the collection of the Cecil Higgins Art Gallery, Bedford but the last I heard it had unfortunately been 'misplaced'.

Diana in Northamptonshire

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clay Blackwell" <clayblackw...@comcast.net>
To: "Susan Reishus" <elationrelat...@yahoo.com>
Cc: <l...@dont.panix.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] Cope and Pin Stitch

Hi Susan -

I've not jumped into this discussion prior to this, but will now. If you're really interested in learning more about Bucks lace, a really valuable little book is "Decorative Fillings for Bucks Point Lace", compiled by Geraldine Stott. Once you see this book, you'll realize that the Cope was probably designed and executed using as much "flair" as the lacemaker could muster! After all, it was for a very important person, and would be seen a lot - assuming it was worthy. (And, it certainly seems it was worthy...). So, if you go through this book (which does not cover every filling ever invented, but has enough to give you a sense of the possibilities!), you'll realize that some of these fillings are designed to be bias (or diagonal) designs, some are similar to the "snowflakes" seen in Binche, Mechlin, and other continental laces, and some are simple variations on familiar grounds (in this book, there are seven variations of the Mayflower ground!). It might be interesting to know how this lace was oriented when it was worn, because our eye can play tricks on us, and even make what is worked as a bias look perfectly "squared" if worn in a certain way. As far as your observation about David's version of Miss Channer's Mat, I'll just make this comment: Miss Channer's Mat was designed and worked by the lovely Miss Channer, for her own use (as I understand). A pattern has been made from it which many Bucks lacemakers aspire to work. One reason it is so sought after as a pattern (but hard to come by as it is out of print) is that it is challenging to the average modern lacemaker, but is not made up of many, many fillings which give it the complexity of the Cope. It is accessible, because it "only" requires a good knowledge of the elements of Floral of Bucks (not a mean feat - that), and the ability to handle an awful lot of bobbins!! (And this is what often separates the adults from the kids!!) The Cope is an infinitely more complex piece. And it was designed that way to draw attention to the person wearing it. And the person who wore it probably would not have accepted it or worn it if it had not been so.

So Malcolm displayed an incredible amount of skill in duplicating this Cope. I dare say it has not been completed by many people. On the other hand, Miss Channer's Mat has been started by many, many people. My guess is that a significant number of those people did not complete it because it was time-consuming, it required the manipulation of so many bobbins, and finally... they just moved on to other things (life does have a way of doing that to some projects, especially if the lacemaker has a job or a family or both...). Still, it has been done by a lot of people. This is not meant, in any way, to detract from what David is doing. I always applaud a lacemaker who takes something that we've seen before and does something different with it! This is how our art evolves!! So, it's worth our time to watch as he employs techniques not used by the lovely Miss Channing, to create something equally lovely, a tad smaller, and black. And as he says, "call it what you will, it will still be lovely".

And guess what? I suspect that the designer of the Cope was doing just that... adopting fillings s/he had seen in laces from other places, "morphing" familiar fillings, inventing new ones... The result is, of course, outstanding.

Clay

Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA, USA

Susan Reishus wrote:
I edited your query Ann, as I thought I had put it in the subject line this would simplify. It was Malcolm's Cope. I noticed nothing of the sort in David's incredible pieces. I guess my eye just goes to what I saw in Malcolm's right away, and wondered if it is my varied needlework background filtering, or a part of Malcolm's piece (and appropriate to that style/technique), or inappropriate if it was modified.
No offense intended, just asking stupid questions.   <S>
Best,
Susan Reishus
***
My query (and hope it isn't too rude) is, why isn't the grain of the mesh worked within each of the "medallions," symetrical to it's opposing medallion and yet within the medallion itself, and/or the grain parallel or perpendicular to the outer and inner edge?
***
Is this referring to...Malcolm's cope?
Ann
Yorkshire UK

***
More familiar with the term Madeira, but there is much info on doing it if you google "French Heirloom" sewing techniques and the like. As I remembered "pin stitch" it often could be a fine finish to say a hand-rolled hem that could look like a drawn thread but just stitched so looks drawn (or can be). Only one piece of fabric would be used, I suppose one could call it a faux Madeira perhaps.

Best,
Susan Reishus