I don't know if it will entice people to try the art, but I used the
following description in a publicity thing for the IOLI Convention in New
Jersey.

Bobbin Lace is made by twisting and braiding  large numbers of threads
together. The threads are wound onto individual bobbins  and the lace is worked
over
a parchment pattern secured to a special cushion.  Pins are used to hold the
design to the desired shape and to allow the  directional changes that make
complex design possible. The purpose of the bobbin  is to hold the thread and
provide weight.
Perhaps more enticing, might be the  following.
Bobbin lace is an extremely versatile  technique capable of producing the
most refined results in textile production. A  composite of weaving and
braiding,
the threads are wound on individual  bobbins allowing warp threads to become
weft threads, directional changes, and  complex decorative patterns resulting
in unlimited design possibilities. Come  explore this textile technique dating
from the 15th century but waiting to  explode with artistic potential when
practiced with 21st century  hands!
Devon
In a message dated 3/30/2009  5:31:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,