I am very happy to hear this review. I recently purchased this book. I learned the basic stitches some time back, but life keeps getting in the way of getting to actually make any lace and it seems like I'm continually starting over. I intend to start (again) using this book this time. Keep your fingers crossed for me (or twisted, as the case may be :D)

Beth Marshall wrote:
Hello Alice

I'll second Anita's recommendation - the "newbie" in our lace glass got the Dye/Thunder "Beginner's Guide... for Christmas after the end of her first term and reappeared for the first class in January with one bookmark from it finished and the next one started (there are people in the class who have been learning with our teacher for many years and still don't know how to start off a simple torchon pattern, never mind finish off a piece unaided...). The book is beautifully presented - gorgeously attractive to look at - and has loads of clear photos to illustrate the instructions, wonderful for students who find a wordy explanation difficult to "see".

I like Ruth's copy so much I bought my own, just in case I ever need to teach a beginner the basics...

Beth
In a wonderfully warm, sunny Cheshire (UK) spring afternoon. Alas, my gardening trousers are in the wardrobe and the decorator has shoved a chest of drawers in front of it while he papers the walls so I'm not out there weeding and planting seeds.
--

Ruth R. in Ohio
roxw...@krafters.net