Hello Sue,
I am afraid I couldn't explain it good enough but I give it a try. In such cases as you describe I totade the pattern or sometimes I make a print out of both sides and put them together. But the last depends on the pattern.

  At the moment I am thinking of what I might put in
What do you mine by this? About the elements you want to use? In Torchon you have the choice of so many different things but be careful don't use too much on one pattern. Some elements have for example six pin points others only four, therefor you can't mix all of them at the same piece of lace. And using colours think that the colour itself is a sort of patter
before I try
putting some bits together on the program.
Are you speaking of a Puter-programm?

I am bound to have missed something but may remember later.
Than you send this question later.
Good luck and lots of fun

Ilske