Dear Lace Scholars,

My English language 2-volume set of the Ricci book, was priced  $1,000.  I
knew the dealer and was able to negotiate.  This is the  English language
set that Tess scanned for the Professor's site.  I felt  very strongly that
everyone in the world should be able to access this body  of work.  After
scanning, I had the bindings repaired.  I think that  brought the net cost
back
up to over $1,000.  In 2002, I saw the set  for sale somewhere for $1,400.
So, a fair IOLI price, and a good  cause.

As a lace book collector, I do think IOLI should have one set in  the
permanent library, even though postage to a borrower would be  prohibitive.
This
is because I have learned much from my Hungarian Lace  friend about lost
books and lost scholarship due to 2 World Wars and  upheavals in Europe.
These precious things need to be spread around  in a variety of known
locations.
   Just my 2 cents.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 4/16/2009 8:59:33 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,