On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Alice Howell <lacel...@verizon.net> wrote:

> .........The color of thread usually used and the color of the pillow are
> not related.

I didn't enjoy using black thread on a dark covered pillow. I don't think
I'm alone in liking blue background to white thread in the bobbin area of
the pillow - it is easier for me to see what I need to, under most lighting.
A blue or other solid background is easier to notice lint and cat hair (so
it can be removed before it gets into the lace, if that sort of thing is
troublesome); a busy background could add to the confusion of trying to
learn a lace, or it makes things more visually exciting -  it depends on the
user.

The 'traditional' French roller pillows have the rollers set in cheerfully
patterned aprons; and bolsters from, for instance, Eastern Europe are sold
in patterned fabric.

The threads will lie on the pricking and then on the work cloth that's under
> the bobbins.

Some lacemakers don't use a work cloth under the bobbins; some use coloured
print work cloths under the bobbins; some use white work cloths under white
thread - as you say, we make lace for fun, so the tools and materials aren't
absolutes.

The color of pricking needs to contrast with the threads.  The material of
> the pillow will only be seen on the top and upper sides where the excess
> bobbins are stacked.

The colour of the pricking 'should' contrast - I am so near-sighted that I
tend to work white thread on white prickings; I don't notice the background
for that part. But I do like a dark blue pillow top.

It is great we can choose whatever suits us! I have even met a favourite
pillow covered in black velvet.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada