Hi All,

The last thing my Paternal Grandmother did in this world was to teach me to
crochet (I turned 10 the week she died).  Alice always had a number of things
on the go, and supplied many things to local Fetes and was a major inspiration
for me.  Not sure of Northern Hemisphere equivalent - ? Fair.

My mother taught me what I wanted to know when I asked and this is important
to a kid.  Much of what I learn comes from books after someone has "held my
hand while I take the first steps" - like the one hour lesson a sister in law
had with me for tatting.

Lace came to me with an interest in Ecclesiastical Stitchery and I did a
Correspondence Course with Rosemary Shepherd - the text of the course was
published as a "How to" book and is still the best "how to" book I have seen.

I have attended both a local group and the NSW Guild at irregular intervals
and always like to look at what other people are making.  I love Lace Express
Magazine, and although I probably will not work many pieces, look through them
from time to time.  It gives an excellent idea of the scope of the Craft.

My as-yet-unfulfilled ambition is to teach one of my Girl Guides to make
lace.

Mary Carey
Campbelltown
NSW, Australia