In a message dated 5/24/2009 4:59:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
s...@duckles.co.uk writes:

nobody  would produce anything
just for the fun of it, and then 'give it  away', thereby having to
fund their hobby or their full time  occupation!

-----------------------
Dear Spiders,

If we really think about this, we know people who have  produced desirable
things just for the fun or compassion of it,  and then given them away,
without compensation.  You are probably  among those who have benefited.  This
applies to information which may take  hours to research and share via
equipment that is costly to operate, but it  also applies to people who love to
give away creations.

Some quilters buy fabric, spend countless hours making quilts,  pay
equipment costs, then give quilts to community causes to use as  fund raisers,
people who use them to comfort children whose parents or family  members have
lost their lives, to the homeless, etc.  Quilters across  America do this,
in groups and singly, and I would think in all other  countries represented
on Arachne.  I had a student who did  this.  She had a limited income, and I
saw no quilts in her  home.

Another group is those who make gowns for premature babies.  Either so
they will have at least one normal-looking garment, or so distraught families
will have a burial garment.  Some of these gowns are trimmed with  lace.
Store bought, but still considered to be lace.  Anyone who has  received one
of these knows it was made with love and not for profit.  They  are not kept
by makers.

I am veering toward off-topic, so suggest this go to Chat.   But, we must
acknowledge the women who donate materials, time,  use of equipment, etc. for
good causes.  They usually do not think about a  tax write-off, or other
scheme when they make these gifts!

Jeri  Ames
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

Steps!