On Aug 11, 2009, at 12:39, Chris Vail wrote:

I taught a beginner 16th c. bobbin lace course. It was... interesting. I usually teach this class in two hours to about 6 people at a time (basic twist and cross, plaiting -- I
don't cover picots).

And just as well, since there don't seem to have been any true picots then :)

In the past two years, I looked at lots of the earliest laces, often in great magnification. And I've asked Devon to pay special attention to them for me, in her weekly trips to the Metropolitan, where she volunteers and has access to the said laces. Nothing. Zero. Picots don't seem to appear until much later, when the laces began to get really fine.

What those early laces do have are "mock picots" which we know as "winkie pins".

For linen and silk, Twist the worker pair (or the pair nearest the pin, in a plait) at least 3 times (or more; some of those early "picots" are really overtwisted), put a pin under it and keep working. For metallic/metal thread, Twist the pair, place the pin under *just one* (outer) thread, Twist the pair again and keep working.