I have just uploaded a couple of picture to my folder on the Arachne2003 webshots. Tiny Url is *http://tinyurl.com/nwetd4*** <http://tiny.cc/8CFvC>

While out running errands this morning, I spotted a pretty, ornate pair of very old scissors. They are marked 800 ("coin" silver as opposed to sterling), and show what's left of some engraving on the blades.

But... once I actually started looking at them, I suspected that they are not scissors at all! The "back" blade, (referred to that way because when you look at that side, you're looking at the back of the two human figures), is solid across the whole blade portion of the implement. On the *front*, the blade is just half as wide, and neatly fits into a recession of the back blade. If you look at the first picture I've posted, you can see this (barely). Neither of the blades is sharp, and they don't appear to ever have been sharpened. So my question is, what are they?

I remember that when I took Honiton, we were encouraged to have a pair of dull scissors to help us with the handling of the threads (to make a swift bundle of the loose ends when starting a piece). Looking at this "thing", I'm wondering if it were designed for just such a purpose.

Does anyone out there know what I've found??

Clay