David,
If you could get your friend to video you doing a square tally that would be brilliant. Although I do leaf tallies when I want them in a pattern I almost always skip the square tallies if I can. I have spent time over the years working at individual items like spiders to improve and that kind of thing, but bypass the tallies when possible. I did do a few patterns and samples with them in when I was taking classes but not in the last 3 or 4 years.
Visual for me is always a huge help.
Sue T Dorset UK

Hi all

I know I'm certainly enjoying watching these videos on YouTube. What I need help with isn't leaf tallies, it's the square ones. I have YET to make one and have it look right. What are the secrets?

Ruth,
if you use my method with the 2 side pins, square tallies are actually easier than leaf ones. It's all in the tension you apply to the 2 outside bobbins regardless of the technique you use though.
David in Ballarat