Shirley,

Eureka -- googled "special scissors" and found cigar scissors -- aha, that rings a bell! So I refined the search and found out that some folks apparently pierce their cigar rather than clipping it.

Now why in the world was this cigar piercer in a needlework box? Did the needleworker smoke? Or maybe she hid it from her husband in a place he'd never look?

Su