I have been hesitant to write about this to the list. But, since writing that I thought we could all send modest amounts and make a huge difference, I received an email from a friend (who is not on Arachne), but who is closely tied to Belgian lacemakers and several who are closely involved with the Kantcentrum. I don't have my friend's permission to quote, and I have not verified the information myself, but I think it's important that we all know what the rumors are about Brugges, and be sure that we support the right efforts...

Apparently, the director has announced that everything in the Kantcentrum is owned by him, and he says it is and always has been a private business. Apparently, the city withdrew their support when they became aware of this. The property is privately owned, and apparently the director had made some changes in the facility without the owner's permission, and that is why the building is no longer available to him. The five full-time employees have been the director, his two daughters, and his two sons. The crisis that has befallen Kantcentrum seems to be the handwork of the director - who is apparently hoping private donations will support him for a while.

The people who are working very hard to find alternative options for a Lace School are the teachers and students who have done so much for the program. They are determined that the Lace School will continue, but without the participation of the "former" director. If it is established with city and government support, and with private donations, it will be much stronger in its new form.

I cannot assure you that everything above is absolutely accurate or undeniable. However, it does raise enough of a question for *me* to "cool my jets" and wait for more information before responding to pleas for money from the Kantcentrum (read... from the "director".)

Clay

Sue Duckles wrote:
I've signed the petition too.... let's hope there is enough support to keep it open! As Bev says, thanks for letting us know Milada. Do let us know if they let you know about the paypal payments Bev.

Sue in EY