Hello Lora and everyone

One idea: If you can manage making a simple square mat on its own, then
sketch the gargoyle you have in mind, place the sketch on the pricking of
the mat and as pairs come into the area of the gargoyle work variations of
CT and CTC to fill in the shape. If that is too tricky with the time you
have before x-mas, try
Another idea: choose an edging to go with your gargoyle theme, make an
edging as a frame to go around a picture of one. A place to start for an
edging would be the Christine Springett patterns for edgings for greeting
cards.

Haven't come across gargoyle patterns lately ;) but hope this helps.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada