Definitely not hairpin. If it were hairpin lace, the central "rib"
would be made of the same novelty yarn. I'm inclined to agree with
Patty, who suggested that a novelty yarn was crocheted with a "binder"
yarn (the smooth brown yarn) on a hairpin lace form.

I used to make hairpin lace but found that counting the loops while
making those long strips and all the joins when crochet or joining the
strips was very tedious. It's a good way to make a little yarn go a
long way but it really stretches. I made a shawl out of skein of
chenille and it stretched so much that if I fold it in half it's about
the right length to wear over my shoulders. ;-)

Avital