I wrote to my local British group about when the tv show Lark Rise to
Candleford was on locally and I received this reply from one person.  I had
mentioned I watched it because it had been talked about on Arachne and there
was a lacemaker in it.  Here are a couple of replies.  I didn't know this
friend had a lacemaker in her family.

________________________________

<I wish I could remember more of the little details regarding lace making, but
....... sorry!
However if you are able to get a hold of the illustrated book at a library or
bookseller, there is a full-sized illustration on page 62 of a mother outside
the cottage making lace with the bobbins, being watched by her 2 daughters.  I
remember my grandmother this way too - she would sit outside the front door to
work in good light.  Next time I read it I'll watch out for lace making!

>I have the illustrated "Lark Rise to Candleford" by Flora Thompson (1877-1947)
>which is the trilogy (Lark Rise, Over to Candleford & Candleford Green).  My
>copy was printed in 1983, and I consider it to be a prized possession.  It was
>given to me by my Library, so it may be available in other libraries too, if
>anyone is interested.  I loved it!!>   Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
www.jblace.com
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org