An ort is a bit of thread left over from a project.  That little bit left on
the needle or bobbin or ....
I work in a pre-school (for ages 3-5yrs) and I save my ' orts' in an old sweet jar to be used by the children for their collage work with lots of glue........ they get used for hair, clouds etc. I have even got the ladies from my lace class saving them and I go home each week with a small bundle of threads in my bag. I quite often think the jar is getting full but when I push the threads down find it's only half full :))
Celia Mulhearn
Plumstead - SE London UK