From: owner-l...@arachne.com [mailto:owner-l...@arachne.com] On Behalf Of
Lorelei Halley
Sent: 26 January 2010 23:45
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] raised and rolled

Joanne and Karen

The difference between "raised and rolled" and "partly raised" is just a
matter of how much of it there is.  Please look at my website
http://lynxlace.com/bobbinlace%20newrevival.html   At the bottom of that
page,
the 2nd from the last row of photos, are of some raised Honiton samplers I
made years ago.  The white piece is from Perryman & Voysey, the grey linen
color one is from Luxton.  In Honiton there are several different ways of
making raised parts.  All the various ways have to do with narrow
tapes/braids/ribs or bundles of threads.  Sometimes these narrow ribs are
woven in cloth stitch with pins on only one side.  This kind may outline a
leaf or flower petal, or can be used as leaf veins.  The bundle kind usually
serves to move threads from the bottom of one part or segment of a leaf up
the top of the next one.  Usually these ribs or bundles are laid down first
and the clothwork or half stitch motifs are made on top of them.  When you
work Honiton the "right side" of the finished piece faces the pillow and the
wrong side faces the lacemaker.  This is so that endings and knots will be
hidden by the work.

Duchesse also uses the rib, and Withof uses a bundle (similar but not
exactly
the same) which outlines nearly everything.

I also have Luxton's TECHNIQUE and used it when learning raised work.  She
explains in detail how to do it in chapter 8, starting on page 139, where
she
describes the working of the leaf shapes in her circular sampler on page
111.
The Luxton leaf sampler that I worked is from her book of Honiton patterns.

Lorelei Halley