Two things come to mind.  The direction of your knot, or doing it differently
so the knot is on the opposite side (closest to what has previously been
worked), should work.

Ideally, stringing beads on your thread before winding on the bobbin, and then
pushing up a bead as required, would seat the bead to be viewed evenly on
front or back (though with lace on a pillow and denser lace, it would tend to
be more toward the front).

The latter is a "pita" and hard on threads, but is a traditional way to add
beads in many forms of needlework, such as knitting or needlepoint, etc.

HTHSusan Reishus
"...Lace...(want to)add some beads.  I put these on using a crochet hook and
drawing one thread of
a pair through the bead and threading the other bobbin through the loop as in
a sewing.  Of course, when I took the lace off the pillow the beads were now
on the 'wrong' side of the lace.  I have been wondering, is there a way to
put
beads on a piece of lace so that they end up on the 'right' side of the lace
without sewing them on afterwards?

Alison in cold, dull Essex UK (although the sun did shine earlier on making
us
feel so much better)