I have just received an email from Alex Stillwell about her concerns
re Google's attempt to scan and perhaps restrict access to the books
of the world, and specifically hers on Teneriffe, which she so
generously gave to the Archives website. (see
<http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/wtopic_lace.html
 >)

Here is what she wrote me:
----------------
Hi Tess

I have thought of a way of stopping Google gobbling up my Teneriffe
book.  I am currently scanning and revising the layout of my torchon
book so I can print and comb bind it myself. I doubt if I shall get
many sales but if I get a new ISBN and am selling it then Google
cannot get their sticky paws on it.

I am happy with, wish to continue with and have no plans to change the
current current arrangements regarding my Teneriffe book, but I am
concerned about Google. If I get a new ISBN I am prepared to print and
comb bind it if anyone wishes to pay for it then Google cannot get
their paws on it. I would like you to let the Arachnids know that this
will in no way affect my arrangement with the Arizona free download
library and it will continue to be freely available there. If you are
happy with this arrangement please may I have permission to use the
pages you scanned.

I think this should solve the Google problem and also help anyone who
has no access to the free download.

Kindest regards

Alex
-----------------
For those who are not familiar with the Archives site, this is a
collection of books and many other materials relating to weaving and
lace, along with embroidery and other things textile-related. The
collection has depended on a great deal of scanning of books available
in libraries and so on, but a great number have come from lacemakers
who have lent us their precious books.  And in some very special
cases, like Alexandra Stillwell's teneriffe book,they have been
donated to the web site from the authors themselves.  We are all so
grateful to everyone who has contributed!

There has been a concern, however, that the Archives site might
disappear now that Ralph Griswold has died.  John Cropper is manning
the fort, and there is no change in the status of the site: it is
still going strong.  There are CDs of all the holdings available to
anyone for a reasonable price, and there is even a web site Gallery
where people are posting their work.  For any further information,
please feel free to write me privately: tess1...@aol.com

So thanks again, Alex, for your generosity and concern, and I'm glad
you figured out a way to slay the Google dragon before he swallows up
your work.

Tess (tess1...@aol.com) in Maine, USA, where everyone here wants to
know why all that lovely snow went south of us.  We're the ones who
want it!