If I remember correctly, it was called a Mimeograph machine. Not pretty, but effective!
David C COLLYER wrote:
In Australia they were called by their German brand name - Gestetner. The result was always a mauve colour.
David
I remember the Gestetner - a horrible mess if you made a typing error. One had to spread a wax-like substance out of a pot, just like nail varnish, and wait till it dried before correcting the mistake. The purple copy I remember as a Fordigraph. The copies were made by typing on special carbon? paper then the sheet was attached to a drum and the resulting copy was always a purple colour. The purple ink was horrible stuff to remove from hands or clothes.

Cheers,
Shirley T. - listening to hobnail boots on the roof as the workmen install our solar electricity system