Jacquie, Some fantastic information through this email, as ever. The original idea came after I found a file saved way back from someone in Germany I think. I have been searching for a name and I dont even know where it came from, but the person did it in october 2003 giving the outside frame on a grid for others to add pattern inside. I have hunted for a name or site and cant find it. They even say they would be delighted if someone writes which ball is best. I wonder if they are part of Arachne? The outside edges look like plaited loops which could be drawn close to the bauble top and bottom using twisted threads. Having transcribed it to english via good old google, it sounds like spiders, diamonds, nets and roseground are used up the centre area. I was looking through Geraldine Stotts lace manual thinking that I thought two of her bookmarks would work very well as the pattern, but I am trying to put together various combinations of stitches and see which I like best. My arachne exchange partner sent me a torchon piece which went around a bauble, over the top section and a tiny tatted piece for the bottom end which is gorgious and has been champing at the bit to work some lace for Bauble decorations for family this year (I know its very early, but I have masses booked for the last few months of this year, so like to think ahead), and it is just the sort of thing I can take out and about with me during the summer months working different pieces in amongst any other work I want to do. I checked out my scrap folder to see if there were any bits hanging around, but nothng long enough and usable. I did buy a couple of the larger baubles just after christmas so they will take wider lace, but if I do a smaller one first then I can see how much wider I want it:-) Lace design package is helping this process a huge amount<g>. and the idea and inspiration from this unknown lacemaker, so thank you. I love it.
Sue T

A few things to think about:-
Therefore, for this type of design, you can see that the length of the lace
actually needs to be at the point where the edges of the lace will be
(think tropics of Cancer and Capricorn) as the bit of the lace which passes round
the equator, will actually strech to fit.  The lace will end up slightly
narrower than on the pillow, so allow for this.
Jacquie in Lincolnshire