On 3 Jun 2010, at 23:16, Clay Blackwell wrote:

> Relative to this thread, I was in my local needlework shop today and a sales
> rep was there.  Since there were no other customers (and the shop owner is a
> friend), they didn't interrupt their business.  I saw the most beautiful
> array of the new "rayons"...  meaning, fibers made from proteins.  There were
> milk, soy, bamboo, and lots of combinations that yielded lovely textures and
> lots of choices in sizes of yarn.
Milk and soy fibres are protein, so not 'rayon'.  Bamboo is cellulose, most of
it is regenerated fibres so that is rayon, a very small amount is the original
fibres processed in a similar way to linen.

> Nothing so fine as to work lace with (unless it's knitted lace, of
> course...).
Why not?  Lace doesn't have to be fine.  With BL it's just a case of making
sure the scale of the pricking is relative to the thickness of the thread.  NL
will make its own finished size dependant on the thickness of the thread.

> My continued impression of all of these threads/fibers/yarns is that they
> have a remarkable "hand", and are very "drape-y". So, any pattern that calls
> for a very relaxed structure will shine with these yarns and threads.  If you
> are working a pattern that requires integrity of design, then these fibers
> will disappoint you terribly.
Agreed.

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.me.uk