I must say that my imagination told me that these would be like gloves for
toes, with separate toes:-)  rather than just a different way of knitting
socks. I did knit a couple of pairs but about 20 years ago but they are too small to wear with my plaster cast or my tubigrip, hense the borrowing of my
DH socks.  This morning we did go and buy a new pair of slippers in his
size, lovely and comfortable on my right foot but he gets them when I am
done:-) and also he can wear his old slippers now instead of having to go
around with bare feet in the mornings, bringing me a lovely cup of tea:-)
I have to say that its is more painful now but obviously the bruising is
coming out and they will reduce in size ect over the coming days.   Thank
you very much for your interest and your information.
Sue T

Dear Sue,
Sorry to hear about your elegant sideways roll. Miserable. There are several books on toe up socks. I knit mine from the cuff down, and have learned that pattern by heart. The socks change by whatever of those computerized variegated yarns I purchase, which make fascinating sock the incredibly simple way. Sock yarn is coming into its own. This is a quite new book, I have the older one and have read it. Toe is no problem, I just can't get my mind around the heel. Perseverance is the key.

Hope your recovery is speedy and without incident.

lrb, in Lancaster Pennsylvania where the high is supposed to be 88F with a 50% chance of thunderstorms.

On thursday I stepped out of my door with bags in my hand and ended up doing an elegant sideways roll, badly spraining my right foot and breaking a bone