That lace looks nice, Mark.  I love the idea of tallies between the blocks.
I haven't seen that done before in a torchon edge.

As for cutting off and starting something different - I do it all the
time!!!!! :)
I have a little travel pillow with a small roller, and always have something
on the go.
However, I may not get the pillow out for another 6 months or so, so I pin a
copy of the working diagram on the front, - and that is also a help when
explaining to people what I am doing. They can see the lines in the diagram,
and can (sometimes!) see how I am following the pattern, and where I am at.

Then I get bored with it, - or find a prettier pattern, and cut it off, and
start something fresh.

I had all these little bits of lace from the travel pillow - and wound up
trimming "Miss Mouse's dresses" on a quilt for my little granddaughter!!
Now I can be a right Snob, and say that "My Granddaughter has Real lace on

Put the piece away, - and you will find it is Just the piece you want, later
on!!! :)

Regards from Liz in cold, wintery Melbourne, Oz.
lizl...@bigpond.com