________________________________
From: Lorelei Halley lhal...@bytemeusa.com
....place the date around the middle
....  Santina Levy does
not speak of
Flanders ground laces, but calls all the 18th century laces with
gimp
"Mechlin" and tells us that this lace (produced near Mechlin) could have
had
any one of several grounds, including Flanders, Mechlin, Binche snowballs
&
snowflakes, Valenciennes, Binche snowballs in half stitch, Paris ground.
....If you follow Ulrika Lohr, who thinks like a lacemaker
and is therefore
primarly interested in structure (what traditional form does
a lacemaker have
to be familiar with in order to reproduce this lace), one
would call it "old
Flanders".