Popular Mechanics has put their archives on line, so of course I had to do a search for lace. Most of the articles were about shoe laces and leather work, a couple were for using lace as textures on wood. But there were these three:

March 1876, page 521 - an article about the lace and history, taken mostly from Bury Pallister's book.

March 1876, page 769 - an article about liquor sumptuary laws. The author cites a 1662 law in Virginia forbidding the importation of lace and one from 1634 in Massachusetts forbidding the wearing of lace.

August 1920, page 131 - directions for making a "lace cutter". It says safety razors are best for cutting lace but the housewife doesn't like to use them for fear of cutting her fingers! Now I know that most of this info is not new to us but to find in Popular Science was surprising. And looking at the old issues has been a lot of fun, especially the articles about what were, then, new inventions. I recognised some that were precursors to things were use now, and some that I'm glad never caught on!

Here's the page with the search results:

http://www.popsci.com/results?query=lace

Cherry Knobloch
Chesapeake, Va USA