I've added a new page to my website:
http://lynxlace.com/StitchesofPointdeGaze.html
I've been thinking about this for some time.  I want to develop an
understanding of what variations in stitches or working methods were
acceptable in the style during its heyday.  I'm still just a beginner at
needlelace, but I've done enough practice pieces that I begin to understand
what I'm seeing in a photo.  So that's what I'm doing on that page: trying to
figure out what stitches were used where.  Eventually, when I get good enough
at it, I'll know how to design in that style, authentically.

I don't mean to suggest that only authentic copies of old laces are acceptable
subject matter for modern needle lace design.  Completely modern pieces which
ignore all the rules are often wonderful and beautiful.  I'm interested in
both.

Lorelei Halley