Hi Tess

A gimp thread (for torchon or point ground) should be at 4-6 times the
thickness of the main thread.  To translate using wraps/cm just divide the w/cm
measurement by 2.5.

The only 35/2 linen I've seen is Bockens  = 18 w/cm
18 รท 2.5 = 4.5  so 4 w/cm or 5 w/cm

The only readily available (in UK) linen of that thickness is Texere C4
You might be able to find a knitting yarn of suitable thickness (Perle 5 is
much too thin) but If it was me I'd use the old method of just using 5 or 6
strands of the main thread wound together on the bobbin.  You will need BIG
gimp bobbins.

Brenda

> I am about to begin a length of simple torchon, using 35/2 linen.  The design
> includes using gimp.  Do you have any suggestions as to what to use for the
> gimp?  #5 DMC perle? stranded DMC cotton? or, what size linen?  Any and all
> suggestions will be gratefully received.

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.me.uk