From: "Sue Duckles" <s...@duckles.co.uk>
To: "Jane Partridge" <jpartri...@pebble.demon.co.uk>
Cc: hottl...@neo.rr.com, lace@arachne.com
Sent: Sunday, August 8, 2010 1:22:46 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] tatting detail in French painting, floor stand &  lace

I can remember attending a lace meeting where there was a lady from
the Sealed Knot showing the costumes in the time of the English Civil
War (late 1700's)... she also showed us some knotting, from memory,
the knots were tied with a tatting shuttle, a very short space apart
(similar to shown in the photo/painting), and then couched down onto
fabric, to create intricate designs in a raised pattern.  However, I
can't remember more than that.

Sue in EY