---- jeria...@aol.com wrote:
There is usually a very slight slant to the finished result, so an  expert
should be able to see whether right- or left-handed stitching  was done.

I'd like to throw a complication into this discussion.  There are several
common ways for lefties to write.  Some hold the pen like a rightie (except in
the other hand) and "push" the pen across the paper.  Some twist the wrist so
the hand is below where they're writing.  A third method is to twist the wrist
the other way, so the hand is somewhat above the writing.  Finally, there's
twisting the wrist so far over the top of where you're writing that you get the
pen into almost the same position (relative to the paper) as a rightie and pull
it across the paper like a rightie.  The different hand positions produce
different styles of left-handed writing.

Similarly, there are several ways to embroider with the left hand.  Some
stitches I reverse completely, like in the book that started this discussion.
Sometimes I hold the fabric upside down so the stitches come out right-to-left
but I did them upside down.  Sometimes I turn the fabric sideways so I can
stitch upward/downward instead of side-to-side.  And sometimes I just couldn't
work out how to reverse or turn sideways or turn upside down, and I just follow
the stitch diagram (backwards for me); this will come out pretty close to
right-handed.  Each of these methods probably produces a different
"left-handed" embroidery style.

Then there's the issue of using a hoop and doing stick-and-stab instead of a
sewing motion.  The neede goes through the fabric straight up-and-down.

Robin

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com