Dear Lacemakers Going to Bethesda,

Below are some comments I sent privately to Liz,  and additional
information I did not send her:

Washington DC is carved out of a square of land that is  part surrounded by
Maryland and part by Virginia, divided  by the Potomac River.  Bethesda is
a town to the North West of  Washington, just beyond the Washington DC
border.  A beltway highway,  circles DC.

I doubt there is much about Bethesda that you would choose for a lace
topic.  However, there is much in Washington -- many public buildings,  for
example.   I believe the sponsoring guild found it easiest  to have a
convention
outside of the city limits of Washington.  Bethesda worked very well for
them in the past, being very convenient by  superhighway for those driving
from north, west and south.  I am sure  this is best for private car parking
and getting away from hotel to  various restaurants, shopping, and museums.
It is also in the realm  of easy access by Rapid Transit, long-distance
trains and air  connections, without being caught up in the worst of DC
traffic.
 However, you will find the area heavily populated, even outside DC.

Does Helen (Liz's lacemaking daughter in the US) or one of her  guild
friends belong to AAA - Automobile Association of America as a  Plus Member?
If
so, they can pick up free maps of Washington DC and a  soft cover book of
the area all around Washington DC (called a Tour  Book) at any local AAA
office.  My 2001 edition of the Mid-Atlantic  one covers Delaware, District of
Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia  in 891 pages!   I could do this
from Maine, but Helen (on the West  Coast) is much closer to you and mailing
might get there faster.   AAA is a national member organization that rescues
stranded motorists,  tows cars where they need to go for repairs, changes
flat tires, etc.,  provides road maps and travel guides, and has travel
agents to serve  members.
-------------------------
Some new info, prompted by correspondence on Arachne:

Some needlework in the National Cathedral in Washington was  published
around 1985 in a booklet:  "Stitches for God - the Story  of Washington
Cathedral Needlepoint", text by Nancy S. Montgomery, 32  pages.  The
Embroiderers'
Guild of America and American Needlepoint  Guild have published articles in
their bulletins about this subject over  the 35-40 years I've been a member
of each.   Other National  Cathedral needlework has been included in books by
various authors  specializing in ecclesiastical  works.

The Daughters of the American Revolution Museum holds a large collection
of embroideries, such as samplers, in addition to costumes.  Far too many
lacemakers exclude embroidery when doing research.  Remember that most
clothing and household items to which lace is attached - are  embroidered!!!!
You
should be able to see quite good examples.  _www.dar.org/museum/_
(http://www.dar.org/museum/)

The Textile Museum is a favorite of mine.  Years ago, long before  OIDFA
met in Prague, they featured lace from Czechoslovakia, and another time  the
Weavings of Peter Collingwood (known to lacemakers for his book on "The
Techniques of Sprang - Plaiting on Stretched Threads".)  You should know  this
is located in an area of homes/headquarters for diplomats.  Not  so easy to
reach by public transport, and street parking can be a  challenge.
_www.textilemuseum.org_ (http://www.textilemuseum.org)     Exhibit right now
for 2
more days on Lafayette, French General during American  Revolution - quilts,
etc.

Regards, Jeri

Jeri Ames  in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 8/31/2010 8:17:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,