Dear spiders,

I was at the U. Nahon Museum of Italian Jewish Art with some fiber
enthusiasts because I'd heard there was some lace in the special
exhibit that just opened in August. There a Torah binder in the
collection made of bobbin lace. It's undated and only identified as
Italian and sewn onto a silk backing. I've never seen anything like it
-- very freeform. I was just wondering whether anyone might know
anything about this style of lace.

I was very fortunate that they let me take photos, despite the fact
that they had a "photography forbidden" sign on the desk. Hey, it
doesn't hurt to ask! I asked the man whether it might be possible to
buy a photo of this lace, since it was forbidden to take photos. He
said it was fine as long as I didn't use a flash. So here are a larger
shot and a detail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spindexr/4990969792/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spindexr/4990968954/

I also photographed carvings, ketubbot (marriage certificates), and
the old Italian synagogue, which is still in use. I haven't processed
all my photos yet, but here are some shots of the synagogue interior:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spindexr/4990294703/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spindexr/4990293641/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spindexr/4990940686/

Avital