I would like to put in a good word for lace samples.  While I have always
admired old lace, I never could afford anything that I saw.  Then I discovered
a lace dealer at the convention that had small samples that were well within my
price range.  Now I have a small collection of a number of different types of
lace.  I have placed them in acid free page protectors (the kind used for
trading cards) with an index card of information in the adjoining pocket.  I
have had hours of entertainment examining them under a magnifyling glass and
comparing them to my books.

My next goal (after having read Pat Earnshaw's books on machine lace) is to
find some samples of those.  This have given me an affordable way to be able to
collect.
Liz
Raleigh, NC, USA