Don't know if this would be safe. If it's the type of glue that is used on post-it notes and the type of sticky label that has a backing that you peel off, I bought a bottle of orange-scented liquid called "Sticky Stuff Remover", which removes the residue left behind if you peel such a label off. My local shop says there's no need to waste money on buying something special - they use eucalyptus oil with the same result when removing sticky labels from the front of their shelves. Problem is I've only removed residue from something that can be removed by putting the solvent on a cloth and rubbing, which wouldn't be a good idea with lace. Don't know if either would work if just applied.

Could you contact a manufacturer of the glue dots and ask if they can recommend anything?

Jean in Poole,Dorset, UK.